Mitra Chem is a Silicon Valley startup working at the intersection of battery materials R&D, scale-up and machine learning. We live at the cutting-edge of battery technology and aim to deliver world-class materials for the EV market within the next few years. Our goal is to be the first lithium-ion battery materials manufacturer to shorten the lab-to-production timeline by >90% through accelerated R&D and vertically integrated process optimization. We will first focus on Li-ion battery cathodes, converting them from commodity chemicals into a product platform, customized for different applications. We have set up a state-of-the-art 15,000 sq ft industrial R&D center in Mountain View, CA. Join our team to be a part of the growing battery revolution.
Climate change and US energy security are at an inflection point. Join our team to be a part of the growing battery revolution.
We are looking for a Sr Chemical Process Engineer to design, scale-up and build a commercial cathode manufacturing facility. A few highlights of the role:
- Mission: Enable the energy transition by accelerating cathode material mass production for EV and ESS battery market
- Ownership: Make key plant design decisions on process, facility and equipment and be responsible for formulating cost and energy efficient process solutions.
- Agility: Work at the crossroads of chemical engineering and chemistry, building scale-up infrastructure to bridge the gap between science and engineering and empower collaborative innovation
- Impact: Drive rapid decision making and continuously accelerate product commercialization timeline by integrating advanced process solutions
- Integrate internal lab/pilot results and external equipment supplier inputs to design and optimize battery cathode manufacturing process and mass production facility
- Select, size and customize cathode manufacturing equipment and conduct equipment field testing
- Plan and lead cathode manufacturing scale-up testing (100-1000 kg scale) and collect and analyze test data to optimize equipment performance
- Work with EPC firms to generate and review all plant engineering documents, e.g. heat and mass balance, utility balance, plant layout, CAPEX and OPEX summary
- Commission new process equipment at pilot and mass production scale, and troubleshoot large scale process equipment
- Drive QC improvements at multiple points in the manufacturing process and communicate with R&D team to improve product quality control
- Project management and progress reporting
- BS/MS or advanced degree in Chemical Engineering, with minor in chemistry or material science.
- 3+ years scale-up experience of pilot operation in chemical, ceramic, pharmaceutical, and food industry
- Hands-on experience with various unit operations, including but not limited to precipitation, filtration, dry and wet milling, drying, high temperature calcination and powder handling
- Experience in process control design/hardware selection and electrical basics/fundamentals
- Prior experience with material characterization (SEM, ICP, XRD, PSA, titration, density measurement) is a plus
- Prior experience with lithium-ion battery cathode synthesis is a plus
- Prior experience with pilot and mass production facility design in an EPCM setup is a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits include health, vision and dental insurance, and 401K
- Well-being allowance and paid Flexible-Time-Off
- Free lunch and snacks
Mitra Chem is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, status as a protected veteran, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws. We take steps to provide our employees, applicants, and others with whom we do business with an environment that is free of any form of discrimination and harassment (including harassment based on any of these characteristics). Mitra Future Technologies, Inc. is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at careers(at)mitrachem.com.